What It Is:
Reddit is known among its users as “The Front Page of the Internet,” but in reality it’s just a gigantic forum where users can post on just about any topic; other users vote those posts up or down and add their own comments on anything posted.
What It Does:
Reddit works as an online forum with several smaller “chat rooms” based on just about every topic imaginable. Anyone can register to post and comment.
Would My Child Want It?:
While Reddit appeals more to the tech-savvy, it’s possible that your child would want to be on the site since it has youth-appealing content (i.e. funny things, trending activities and socially driven media via pictures and videos.)
Where Can It Be Used?:
It’s a website, so anywhere with internet. There are also multiple mobile apps that function as Reddit clients.
What Should I Watch Out For?:
- The users at Reddit pride themselves on having the greatest and latest things to hit the internet. Unfortunately, this means a lot of illicit or explicit images, videos, and text.
- Even good topic threads can have links to porn or sexually driven content.
- Language is unregulated, meaning it is often vulgar or profane.
- Hate speech and bullying.
What Are The Positives?:
- If you wanted to know a public opinion on a certain topic, you’ll find a large sample size via Reddit.
- You can see what they average posters thought about a certain topic.
What Are The Negatives?:
- Porn is prevalent.
- Inappropriate images are everywhere.
- A lot of foul language.
What We Think:
Since the upside is so minimal compared to the potential downsides, we advise you to have your children stay away from Reddit.