What It Is:
Netflix is a streaming video and DVD rental service that provides movies and certain episodes of television for a monthly subscription fee.
What It Does:
Netflix offers two separate services for monthly fees. Its most popular is its streaming video service, providing full access to the complete Netflix streaming catalogue of feature films and television series, all available without commercials. Its other service allows users to rent and return DVDs through the mail.
Both services have deep catalogues of many different types of movies and television shows, none of it hardcore pornography but some of it very objectionable in regards to sex, nudity, violence, and language.
Would My Child Want It?:
Netflix has a very comprehensive library of programming that would appeal to many different age ranges of children.
Where Can It Be Used?:
Netflix is available on just about any internet-connected device including computers, smart TVs, and mobile devices like smartphones and tablets.
What Should I Watch Out For?:
- The main concern with Netflix is that the service contains many mature titles that feature nudity, sex, violence, and profane or obscene language.
- Netflix also actively encourages what has become known as “binge-watching,” the near-addictive act of watching multiple episodes of a show in one sitting.
What Are The Positives?:
- Netflix allows for multiple viewing profiles on one account, so parents can set up an account for their kids that restricts the library to age-appropriate titles only.
- The service is very accessible across multiple platforms.
- Netflix tracks your viewing history in order to make recommendations for other titles to watch; this history is accessible to the account holder so you can know what your kids watched, how much of it they watched, and when they watched it.
What Are The Negatives?:
- Inappropriate content is just a click away and can often be recommended by Netflix.
- The concern we currently have with Netflix is that your child can switch in between their profile and your profile with out having to enter a passcode or a pin. If you kid is smart and knows that their profile is limited they could easily log into yours.
What We Think:
Because of its flexibility and accessibility, Netflix can be a useful tool when your child’s activity is monitored. Use it in the same way you would your television, regularly check the viewing history so you can know what your kids are watching, and watch with them occasionally so you can bond over the stories and images you share.