Funny or Die
What It Is:
Funny or Die is a service that features streaming short professional and amateur comedy videos with the added component of a crowdsourced ranking system to alert users as to whether a video is funny or not.
What It Does:
Funny or Die presents comedic videos that are generally fairly short. These videos can be made either by amateurs or by professional comedians. The video has a large indicator underneath it that allows website users to give, essentially, a thumbs-up (“funny”) or thumbs-down (“die”) vote, with the idea that videos ranked as “funny” will rise to the surface.
Would My Child Want It?:
Funny or Die is not as ubiquitous as YouTube, but is still popular in some circles, especially among those who are interested in the world of comedic entertainment.
Where Can It Be Used?:
Funny or Die has an online portal, as well as multiple mobile apps.
What Should I Watch Out For?:
- Since the entire site is based on comedy, videos can often be irreverent, vulgar, crude, or sophomoric.
- Though it isn’t prominently featured, there is a comments section on each video, potentially exposing users to further crudeness, obscenity, or hate speech.
- Though videos can be viewed anonymously, users can create an account for uploading purposes or to create a library of favorites. These can be shared to Facebook or Google+ accounts.
What Are The Positives?:
- There are legitimately funny (and relatively clean) videos available on the site.
- Exposure to different kinds of comedy can help those with an interest in making comedy grow in their craft.
What Are The Negatives?:
- Because of the thousands and thousands of videos on the site, using Funny or Die can lead to binge-watching.
- Users can create an account for uploading or commenting, leading to possible data collection/mining and direct advertising exposure.
What We Think:
In its efforts to be culturally relevant, Funny or Die often skirts a line of good taste, as well as offering up cultural norms that parents may disagree with. If your child has an interest in Funny or Die, you may consider creating your own account for them to use and pre-viewing anything they may want to watch.