What It Is:
DeviantArt is a social forum where artists can exhibit and discuss works. These works are organized into different categories like artworks, photos, and paintings.
Who is on it?Mostly artists and designers, both amateur and professional.
Would My Child Want It?:
Though not for the average internet user, DeviantArt has become a fairly popular place for artists of every stripe to display their work and get feedback.
Where Can It Be Used?:
Since it’s a website, it can be accessed by any device that connects to the internet. There are also several mobile clients that work in tandem with DeviantArt
What Should I Watch Out For?:
For the most part, DeviantArt is used for art projects via posters, designs, illustrations, or photography. However, there is a function that allows users to search by topic—including inappropriate ones.
What Are The Positives?:
- The variety of art on display can be an inspiration for budding artists.
- Provides a community of like-minded artists.
What Are The Negatives?:
- Since users can search for anything, there is a likelihood that the curious child can find things that aren’t the greatest to see.
- Some sexually-themed art projects exist on the site.
- Also some violent content.
What We Think:
When used appropriately, DeviantArt can be a worthwhile site, but we recommend you only allow your child on it if you feel confident in their maturity level to handle what they might find.