What It Is:
At its essence, Craigslist is simply local classified ads on the internet.
What It Does:
Craigslist provides local forums for people who want to sell or give away merchandise, find or post job opportunities, discuss community issues, and find or sell/rent housing. It is a fairly convenient way to do business and, unlike newspaper classified ads, posting requires no fee. Those who reply to your post reply within the Craigslist site, which then sends the message to you via email.
One section on the Craigslist site that is easily accessed with just a few clicks and complete anonymity, is the “personals” section. People can post in this section seeking anything from platonic relationships to casual sex, and Craigslist allows for posters to upload images – which can be pornographic – along with their posting.
Would My Child Want It?:
It’s likely that your child would not be all that interested in perusing the classified ads section of Craigslist; if they are interested in the “personals” section, then you have more to worry about than just them being on Craigslist.
Where Can It Be Used?:
Craigslist is available through the internet primarily; there is also a mobile app that is rated 17+.
What Should I Watch Out For?:
- Craigslist is notorious for attracting spammers and scammers who reply to (or post) ads strictly to get information or try to part you with your money.
- Porn is only a click away.
- Anonymous, meaningless sex is also featured as being accessible through the site.
What Are The Positives?:
- Craigslist is a convenient way to sell items around the house that you no longer need, or to find them.
- Craigslist is also a convenient way to find housing.
What Are The Negatives?:
- It is entirely too easy to open up direct connections with scammers, spammers, and trolls.
- Sex, porn, and obscenity is far too easy to encounter.
What We Think:
If your child has something to sell and you feel Craigslist is the best option, then you can sell it for them. They have no reason to be on Craigslist and we recommend steering them far away from it.